Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Strength & Beauty by ~Donna

Hello my peeps! Today, not only am I sharing a mixed media canvas that I've created for the "Take Me Deeper" project on the His Kingdom Come site, but I also have a FREE start to finish video (which I haven't done in a while) and additional step by step photos below. You can watch the video by clicking on the link below:

Donna's Strength & Beauty Tutorial Video


The topic for May is "Sanctuary". The bible verse that I chose isn't actually one of the verses for this week's lesson but I really wanted to use it and it fit so well. "Honor and majesty are before him. strength and beauty are in his sanctuary" Psalms 96:6

I made the background of the canvas with Hazel & Ruby's DIY Decor Tape & Stencil Masks. I've found some helpful tips through trial and error and I wanted to share them with you.

Starting The Canvas

Most importantly, you need to start with a canvas that has been treated. A dry canvas will make it so that the Decor Tape won't stick. I use a couple layers of Fast Finish Decoupage.

 Cut your tape bigger than the canvas and lay it down with the image facing your work table. Slowly peel the backing away, leaving about 1 inch on the right side and crease the backing so it will help to hold the tape flat.

Lay the canvas in the center of the tape and use your hand to rub the canvas into the tape to get out any air bubbles.

Turn the canvas over and smooth out the tape all the way to the edges of the canvas.

Cut the excess tape from the edge to the top corner of the canvas.

Fold the edge of the tape up along the sides of the canvas.

 Fold in the sides, crease the edges (like a present) then fold the flap down.

 Repeat on the bottom of the canvas.

Fold the sides up and over the back.

Turn the canvas over and add your stencil masks.

Finishing The Canvas

I added stamped images on the canvas using my Mix'd Media Inx CHOX in Sparrow. This ink dries fast but when stamping over paint you may want to blot it dry or use a heat gun to make sure it is set. I also used a Spectrum Noir alcohol pen to outline and add a drop shadow to the bible verse word strips. I've found that these pens work best over painted surfaces.

I used an ink blender and my Mix'd Media Inx CHOX in Patina to add a soft blue edge to the canvas.

I used my Mix'd Media Inx in Sparrow on the edge as well to give it a bit of a vintage look.

 I used some Glue Gloss with my Twinkle Dust Glitter (both from Clearsnap) to add a bit of sparkle to the word Beauty. You can see how easy this is on the tutorial video.

 The photo below is the finished word.

At this point I added some Matte Medium from Liquitex to seal the ink and the glitter to the canvas because I thought I was done, but then... 

I decided to add a little somethin' somethin' with my "Embroidered Flower" stamp and Driftwood Mix'd Media Inx CHOX... 

But the design didn't show up very well so I added more with my Mix'd Media Inx CHOX in Sparrow. I added another layer of Matte Medium when I was done.

Here are some close up photos of the finished canvas:




I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and that you are able to take some time to watch my 

Product used:
E-Z Dots - Temporary

Mix'd Media Inx CHOX - Sparrow, Driftwood, Patina
Twinkle Dust Glitter
Glue Gloss

Hazel & Ruby - DIY Decor Tape - Wooden Grain & Stencil Masks - Central Park, Blindside, Brooklyn
Liquitex - Basics acrylic paint, Matte Medium
Beacon Adhesives - Fast Finish Decoupage
Spectrum Noir - Alcohol Markers

Thanks for Stopping by!!! Smooches ~D~
Where to find Donna:

No comments:

Post a Comment