Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Rustic Birdhouse ~ by Mistra Hoolahan

Hi lovelies!

Today I have a little birdhouse to share with you, these are such fun to decorate. Add paper, some sweet trim and flowers, a little quote and you've created a cute decor item!



I have created some handmade flowers using Donna's Rose Creations and Bitty Blossoms dies from Spellbinders. These dies are well and truly my most used and loved dies, and I'm still on the original sets... they cut forever it seems!

I added some Lace trim from Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L just under the 'eaves' to add some subtle interest.  like how the little round trim on this one matches the birdhouse hole and the round elements I have used on the walls.


I tied a simple bow from Donna's Organza ribbon from Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L and tucked it in among some flowers on the roof to soften the look, but it was far too delicate for the rustic look I was wanting... so I hit it with a few short blasts from a heat gun, it wrinkled in to fit the contours of the flowers and roof and the effect was perfect! A little bit of grungy elegance!


The paper I used to cover the birdhouse with was a woodgrain, but it too was also too 'clean', so to add some grunginess I mixed some of Donna's fabulous new pigment from Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L with some matte gel medium and smeared it following the woodgrain pattern. It gave a slight shimmery yet worn look, simple but effective!


To finish off I've added some edging with Stormy Mix'd Media Inx as well as inking the base, such a fabulous colour, not quite grey, not quite brown... and it just fits everywhere!!

Donna Salazar Products

Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L™
Lace Ribbons
Texture Ribbons - Organza
Pigment Powder - Brown

Clearsnap / Colorbox
Mix'd Media Inx - Stormy

Spellbinders
Rose Creations Die
Bitty Blossoms Die

Thanks for stopping by today!  See you again soon.
Mis xo

No comments:

Post a Comment