Saturday, March 26, 2016

Denim Pocket Pillow by Donna Salazar

Hello my peeps! Today I'm sharing a SEWING project! I know, right? Who knew that I could sew. I was inspired to do this project by the Soft Touch pillow insert from Fairfield. I felt that maybe I needed yet another denim pillow because I never seem to have enough denim in my life... LOL! 

The pillow insert is 14x14 so I cut two 16x16 pieces of denim. I started by sewing the denim piping along the edge of one side then sewed the Levis® pocket to the center... but offset just a touch because I knew I'd be adding the flower. I pinned the 2 pieces of 16x16 denim together, wrong side out, and sewed around the edge with the foot right on the piping to give it a nice clean edge. I left a hole on the last side that was half the width of the pillow, turned the case inside out, added the pillow insert and sewed the cover shut, again with the foot right on the piping.

I then made the flower pin and bow pin that could be removed (to make washing the pillow easier) and have the step by step instructions for you.

I started by die cutting a whole bunch of roses and leaves from denim and Oly*Fun Rose Gold material using my new Jumbo Rose steel rule die from Spellbinders®. These roses are the next couple sizes up from one of my first dies (and still a very popular die) with Spellbinders® called Rose Creations.  I painted the backs of all of the flowers and leaves with my Girlie Grunge Art Medium from Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L® to stiffen the materials enough to form them.

After the medium was dry I put the Oly*Fun die cuts in my Medallion Em-Bossing folder and ran them through the Platinum machine.

I had some canvas flowers that were perfect for the flower center that I had cut from my Canvas Ribbons from Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L® using my Rose Creations dies. I painted them with Girlie Grunge Art Medium to stiffen them and keep the edges from fraying. I also cut 3 pieces of my Girlie Grunge Twine to use to string all the die cuts together. This was made easier when I dipped the ends of the Girlie Grunge Twine into my Girlie Grunge Art Medium then twisted them together. 

When it dried (after about a minute) the end was stiff like a shoe lace which made it supper easy to thread it through the shank of a vintage button.

I then dipped the ends of both sides of the Girlie Grunge Twine into the Girlie Grunge Art Medium again and twisted to thread through all the flower die cuts.

I started with the canvas flowers...

Then I threaded the smaller denim and Oly*Fun roses with the petals offset then the larger roses.

I trimmed the Girlie Grunge Twine and spread the ends out. I used a Dodz™XL to adhere the ends in place. I used another Dodz™XL on top of 3 leaves that I adhered to the bottom of the rose.

I die cut the larger rose from my Jumbo Rose die with a piece of stiffen2 interlining from Fairfield. I then sewed a pin to the back of it.

I lined up the stiffen2 interlining die cut on the back of the flower and used a heat gun in between the flower and the interlining pressing each petal to the flower as I went to fuse them together. 

I tied a bow with my organza ribbon from my Texture Ribbons pack from Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L® and sewed a pin to the back.

I used a heat gun to make the bow look more girlie grunge.

I added both pins to the pillow and called it done!!! 

Here is a close up of the denim piping on the side of the pillow.

The whole project only took me about 2 hours total!!! Easy peasy!!!

Product used:
Donna Salazar Designs® with Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L®


Soft Touch pillow insert
Oly*Fun Craft Sheet Rose Gold
stiffen2 Interlining

Thanks for stopping by!!! Smooches ~D~

No comments:

Post a Comment